Parents as Teachers (PAT) Parent Educator
Family & Children’s Agency (FCA) is a leading, nonprofit human service organization committed to building better lives by increasing the social and emotional wellbeing of our clients. We provide strength-based solution focused services that meet the needs of our clients throughout the life cycle including children, families, youth, adults and seniors. Our acquired knowledge and skill has also enabled us to be responsive to the changing needs in the communities we serve.
Our Mission is to partner with individuals, families, organizations and communities to build better lives.
We are searching for a Parents as Teachers Parent Educator to join our Prevention team:
The Parents as Teachers (PAT) program is an evidence-based home visiting model designed to ensure young children are healthy, safe and ready to learn. The goals of the program are to provide parents with child development knowledge and parenting support, provide early detection of developmental delays and health issues, prevent child abuse and neglect, and increase children’s school readiness. The PAT model includes one-on-one home visits, monthly group meetings, developmental screenings, and a resource network for families. Parent educators conduct the home visits using structured visit plans and guided planning tools.
Summary of Job Responsibilities: A certified parent educator implements the PAT model, emphasizing parent-child interaction, development-centered parenting and family well-being in their work with families. Utilizing the PAT Foundational Curriculum in culturally sensitive ways, the parent educator partners, facilitates and reflects with families. The parent educator implements the curriculum in the home through ongoing home visits to ensure the healthy development of children.
- Engage in recruitment activities (as applicable)
- Complete an initial and annual family-centered assessment with each family
- Develop, monitor and review goals with each family
- Provide ongoing and consistent personal visits focused on parent-child interaction, development-centered parenting and family well-being (including planning, delivering and documenting the visit)
- Use the PAT Foundational curriculum to share research based information with families
- Provide group connections to give families an opportunity to build social connections with each other, engage in parent-child interaction activities, and increase their knowledge of ways to support children’s development.
- Complete ongoing developmental screenings and health reviews for each enrolled child
- Connect families to resources that help them to address their needs and reach their goals.
- Maintain and submit in accordance to deadlines all required documentation for program
- Participate in reflective supervision as well as biweekly staff meetings.
- Obtain competency based professional development and renew parent educator certification annually
- Participate in continuous quality improvement
- Work under the supervision of the PAT supervisor, Family Support and Prevention Program Manager and Director.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in child development, psychology, nursing, human services, or related field preferred. A minimum of an Associate’s degree required.
- Experience working with ethnically diverse families with young children under the age of six years.
- Experience working in the home and community sites.
- Cultural competence; ability to speak a second language (Spanish, Portuguese, Creole, other), highly valued.
- Strong commitment to the vision, mission, and goals of Parents as Teachers.
- Highly organized, self-motivated, flexible, (including willingness to work non-traditional hours), and able to work as part of a team.
- Familiarity with community services and supports, highly valued
- Must have a reliable vehicle and appropriate Connecticut driver’s license and insurance
Candidates may apply by visiting the employment section of our website. http://familyandchildrensagency.org/careers.aspx
In addition to being recognized as one of the Top Workplaces by Hearst Media for the fourth year in a row, we offer a competitive compensation package with benefits. Our full-time benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, 401K with a match, flexible spending plan and a generous vacation policy. EOE.