The Assistant Counsel provides a wide range of legal services for Yale New Haven Health System and its affiliates (YNHH). The Assistant Counsel must be able to take initiative, work independently with autonomy, and as a collaborative team member in the Legal & Risk Services Department.
- 1. Provides legal advice to YNHH leadership and executives on regulatory issues affecting the provision of patient care at YNHH providers, including, but not limited to:
- 1.1 Informed consent, documentation, competency, and confidentiality
- 2. Provides legal advice affecting the implementation of strategic initiatives and business operations.
- 3. Selects and retains outside counsel as needed, and manages legal expenses in subject matter areas of responsibility.
- 4. Identifies critical legal risk exposure matters.
- 5. Manages the provision of legal advice on urgent matters after hours.
- 6. Assists with or direct supervision of Department paralegals and administrative staff.
- 7. Performs other duties as requested by Deputy General Counsel and Sr. Vice President /General Counsel.
Juris Doctor from an accredited law school
At least two years of experience in health care law practice, with a preference for those who have spent some portion of that time in a healthcare setting. Familiarity with Federal and state law affecting hospitals and health care professionals is required.
Current admission to the Connecticut Bar (as Authorized House Counsel or otherwise) or ability to waive in or achieve bar membership in a timely fashion.
Demonstrated extraordinary ability to perform all aspects of functions. Excellent written and oral communication skills, including timely and effective advice to leadership, executives and other relevant stakeholders. Ability to independently conduct legal research and provide legal advice. Ability to work in a fast paced and challenging environment. Autonomously manages a high volume and complex workload within subject matter areas of expertise. Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, organizational, and customer services skills. Ability to handle stressful situations with a calm demeanor and be flexible. Capable of exercising good judgment and decision-making skills. Demonstrated ability to issue spot and escalate issues as identified. Interacts with other Legal & Risk Services personnel to ensure that legal services are provided to YNHH in a timely, practical and cost effective manner consistent with the mission and values of the organization. Demonstrates a spirit of teamwork, offering positive and constructive ideas, encouragement and support to other members of the Legal & Risk Services Department. Able to effectively supervise the development and oversee work product of the Department?s more junior professional staff. Proactively seeks professional growth opportunities.
Yale New Haven Health System, through its Yale New Haven, Bridgeport, Greenwich and Northeast Medical Group Delivery Networks, provides comprehensive, cost-effective, advanced patient care characterized by safety and clinical and service quality.
Yale New Haven Health System, in affiliation with Yale School of Medicine and other universities and colleges, educates health professionals and advances clinical care.
In all of its work, YNHHS is committed to the communities it has the privilege of serving.