Director of Christian Education
First Congregational Church of Stamford (FCC) is a vibrant progressive Christian church in downtown Stamford, CT that serves the community through worship, Christian education, community events, and social justice/Christian mission programs. FCC is seeking a part time (15-20 hrs/week) Director of Christian Education who is committed to the FCC mission to join the team.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for the Children’s Ministries of the Church Nursery (birth) up to high school. The pastor is primarily responsible for Confirmation. The best job will be done by an individual that can engage children with good rapport and initiative and maintain an inviting presence. Understanding and expression of Progressive Christian theology in line with the mission statement of FCC is required. In addition, this person is expected to abide by all Personnel and other policies of FCC.
Mission Statement: First Congregational Church of Stamford (United Church of Christ), is an inclusive Christian community dedicated to following and sharing the teachings of Jesus Christ, encouraging spiritual growth through worship, education, and outreach. We welcome and celebrate individual interpretation of our faith in covenant with God.
- Participate in worship with a Children’s Moment prepared and submitted beforehand to Pastor.
- Prepare and teach a weekly Sunday School class for grades 1-5 during worship.
- Work with the church school staff to clearly define duties and relationships.
- Provide for training of the staff.
- Train a group of substitute and assistant teachers.
- Plan and preside at teacher meetings.
- Meet new students and assign them to the right classes.
- Keep accurate records (registration, attendance, offerings, expenses, supplies)
- Arrive early for every session to be sure the building is in order and teachers, supplies and equipment are ready.
- Order, distribute, evaluate and encourage effective use of curriculum materials, equipment and general supplies.
- Meet with the Christian Education Team.
- Plan and lead special church school programs, like Youth Sunday and the Christmas Pageant.
- Plan and lead approximately 1 family-friendly activity/outing per month, preferably on Sunday afternoon.
- Recruit and train adult volunteers to do youth programing.
- Keep informed about what is happening in the children’s and youth programs and in Christian education and keep the congregation informed.
- Work with the Christian Education Team to evaluate programs and develop new ways of carrying out tasks.
- Be an advocate for Christian education.
- Involve the church school in the total life of the church.
- Attend weekday staff meeting.
- Ensure that the faith formation programs operate under safe church guidelines.
- Meet regularly with parents/parishioners to build relationships and increase volunteer capacity.
- Use the most effective communication methods to connect with and enlist parents/volunteers, including phone calls, face-to-face meetings, texting, messaging, emails.
- Write a monthly CE article for the church newsletter.
- Grow the CE program.
- Network in the community with school leaders, community groups, other CE directors and youth leaders in the area to bring resources to the program.
- Provide resources to teachers and parents to interpret the mission of the church as it relates to the United Church of Christ.
- 7-8 hrs/wk on site including staff meeting, Sundays 9am-12pm, and office hours TBD.
- Write an update for the weekly e-blast.
Apply for Director of Christian Education
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly