Mortgage Loan Officer
Newtown Savings Bank is seeking a results-oriented, sales professional to join our Mortgage Banking team as a Mortgage Loan Officer (Mortgage Banker I) based in our Greater New Haven Regional Lending Center. This position, under the direction of the V.P. of Residential Lending Sales & Marketing, is responsible for the origination of residential mortgage products. This includes meeting with customers, the interview process, completion of the application, and the receipt of all supporting documentation.
PRIMARY ACCOUNTABILITIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Outside prospecting and networking with local centers of influence including Realtor’s, Attorney’s, Builders, local civic and religious leaders to build and maintain referral sources.
- Explain mortgage/loan products, how the product works and how the product will benefit the applicant’s needs.
- Provide the appropriate product for the customer’s needs while assuring Bank profitability.
- Enter new loan requests into Encompass, prepare all initial application disclosures and collect essential documentation.
- Assist with Encompass on-line applications thru the consumer site. Follow up on open applications in Mortgagebot consumer site as needed.
- Complete a basic credit analysis, and analyze the basics of a self-employed borrower’s tax returns to determine eligibility.
- Outline loan terms and conditions, and inform the borrowers of loan commitments, counter offers and denials.
- Resolve outstanding conditions and assist underwriting department to obtain appropriate documentation.
- Understand compliance issues including the timelines of mortgage loan processing.
- Courteously resolve customer complaints or properly refer them for assistance.
- Cross sell all Bank Services including referrals for deposit accounts and commercial loan relationships, as well as investment services.
- Communicate effectively with customers, branches, and retail lending department.
- Assist in supporting and training the Branch’s lending staff regarding mortgage or home equity applications.
- Assist in new product and develop sales tools to increase business for the Bank.
- Responsible for overseeing lending community events and/or seminars within our lending communities.
- Participate in various civic and community functions to further enhance the image of the bank and to network for continuous new business opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent plus 4 to 6 years experience in mortgage lending.
- Sales management experience to generate new mortgage business.
- Customer Service oriented with effective communication skills.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Knowledge and understanding of loan products, forms, documentation, and compliance issues, including timeliness of mortgage loan processing, within the loan origination function, as well as secondary market underwriting.
- Mortgage lenders are also be required to be registered with the NMLS system designed by the federal banking regulators.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Any physical demands or work conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Full time employees also receive a complete benefit package including a generous 401(k), medical benefits, paid time off, and short and long term disability programs.
Newtown Savings Bank is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer regardless of race, gender, disability status, protected veteran status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, marital status, national origin/ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected status.