Maintenance Mechanic - GER01763
Gerdau is the leading company in the production of long steel in the Americas and one of the major suppliers of specialty long steel in the world. With more than 45,000 employees, Gerdau has an installed capacity of more than 25 million metric tons of steel and it is the largest recycler in Latin America, and around the world, it transforms millions of metric tons of scrap into steel every year.
Gerdau Long Steel North America is a leader in mini-mill steel production and steel recycling in North America, with an annual manufacturing capacity of approximately 10 million metric tons of mill finished steel products. Through a vertically integrated network of mini-mills, scrap recycling facilities and downstream operations, the company serves customers throughout the U.S. and Canada, offering a diverse and balanced product mix of merchant steel, rebar, structural shapes, fabricated steel, flat rolled steel and wire rod.
Gerdau Special Steel North America is an engineered bar producer headquartered in Jackson, Michigan with world-class steel manufacturing mills in Jackson, Michigan, Monroe Michigan, and Fort Smith, Arkansas, and metal processing facilities in Huntington, Indiana, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin, Lansing, Michigan, Canton, Ohio, and North Vernon, Indiana.
With engineered steel bar producing capabilities in North America, Europe, Brazil, and soon to be India, the Gerdau Special Steel group is the largest supplier of SBQ engineered steel bars to the global automotive and heavy truck industries.Job Description Under direct supervision from senior maintenance personnel or plant management, perform basic to moderately complex maintenance and repair operations necessary to keep plant property, equipment, machinery, and tools in good operating condition; diagnose problems and work in many varied and diversified capacities required in general maintenance, overhaul, and repair of plant equipment, processes and facilities. Report all unusual circumstances, safety and repair issues or concerns to supervisor. Reports to Maintenance Supervisor (if applicable), Shop Superintendent, Plant Manager or Branch Manager based on assigned business unit.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Diagnose causes of malfunctions by sight, sound, or actions of plant equipment, machinery or processes.
- Understand and apply all aspects of the critical tasks and the use of PRA'S before staring any work or repair.
- Start, observe, operate, interview operator and otherwise activate equipment to diagnose, detect or verify malfunction or corrective actions taken in accordance with standard operating procedures.
- Level, align, and secure machines, equipment, and auxiliaries.
- Perform/follow through with the locations preventive/predicative maintenance programs as specified by the OE manufacturer and/or internal requirements. Train and instruct employees on preventive maintenance activities and procedures. Inspect, adjust, clean, and/or lubricate equipment as normal part of preventive maintenance program.
- Tear down, replace, repair, install, and assemble equipment, parts, components, and accessories. Develop and fabricate accessory fixtures or guards for machines and equipment. Adjust machine mechanisms such as feed, speed, power input or output. Report or refer complex repairs or questions to supervisor.
- On occasion or as directed, bend and cut conduit or wires; drill or knockout holes in walls, floors, or ceilings for electrical or plumbing connections; connect wires to motors, fixtures, and other electrical equipment; bend, cut, and thread pipe, lay and seal pipe; clear clogged drains and replace washers.
Salary & Benefits
- Medical and Prescription
- Health & Dependent Care (Flexible Spending Account)
- Basic Life/Accidental Life Insurance
- Health Advocate Services
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
Gerdau believes in equal employment opportunity related to all employees and applicants for employment. It is the policy of Gerdau that there will be no discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sex, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, veteran status, disability, or other legally protected status. All applicants must be legally eligible to immediately work in the country of hire without current or future sponsorship.
If you are vision-impaired or have some other disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Gerdau, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team at 788-2798 or .