Production Supervisor - Fabrication - GER02111
Gerdau is the leading company in the production of long steel in the Americas and one of the major suppliers of specialty long steel in the world. With more than 45,000 employees, Gerdau has an installed capacity of more than 25 million metric tons of steel and it is the largest recycler in Latin America, and around the world, it transforms millions of metric tons of scrap into steel every year.
Gerdau Long Steel North America is a leader in mini-mill steel production and steel recycling in North America, with an annual manufacturing capacity of approximately 10 million metric tons of mill finished steel products. Through a vertically integrated network of mini-mills, scrap recycling facilities and downstream operations, the company serves customers throughout the U.S. and Canada, offering a diverse and balanced product mix of merchant steel, rebar, structural shapes, fabricated steel, flat rolled steel and wire rod.
Gerdau Special Steel North America is an engineered bar producer headquartered in Jackson, Michigan with world-class steel manufacturing mills in Jackson, Michigan, Monroe Michigan, and Fort Smith, Arkansas, and metal processing facilities in Huntington, Indiana, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin, Lansing, Michigan, Canton, Ohio, and North Vernon, Indiana.
With engineered steel bar producing capabilities in North America, Europe, Brazil, and soon to be India, the Gerdau Special Steel group is the largest supplier of SBQ engineered steel bars to the global automotive and heavy truck industries.
- Plans, organizes, and monitors reinforcing steel shop operations to assure the smooth, safe and efficient stocking of inventory, fabrication of reinforcing steel, maintenance of equipment, and delivery of orders as needed to satisfy customer requirements.
- Manages all reinforcing steel shop personnel, including:
- Training, motivating, disciplining and evaluating the performance of all reinforcing steel shop personnel
- Ensuring the ability of all reinforcing steel shop personnel to safely perform the duties of their respective jobs
Manages reinforcing steel fabrication operations, including:
- a. Receiving and storing of inventory
- b. Overseeing the supplying of materials to be fabricated
- c. Monthly inventory adjustment counts
- d. Organizing cutting schedule to maintain optimum fabrication efficiency
- Conducts and reports safety meetings for reinforcing steel shop.
- Acts as first contact for environmental spills, employee accidents and safety
- Maintains reinforcing steel shop equipment - ensures compliance with all safety and operational standards
- Scheduling of all reinforcing steel delivery trucks
- Maintains vehicle operation and maintenance records
- Maintenance and repair of equipment and spare parts
- Supervise and coordinate an assigned shift work force engaged in bar shop fabricating operations involving fabrication warehousing, material handling, shearing, bending and loading of reinforcing steel.
- Work from schedules, orders, and instructions to assign work to the shop production operators.
- Check work in process to insure adherence to quantity and quality standards. Keep Superintendent informed as to production progress and other pertinent information.
- Will work on/with all equipment, including Forklift, cranes, and tractor trailers.
- Review job orders, and schedule required operational work as necessary to insure proper performance of duties and to maintain flow of work through the shop.
- Anticipate or investigate production delays, inadequate work performance and take necessary corrective action.
- Make effective recommendations regarding equipment, maintenance and subordinates.
- Provide support to shop production employees, team building, coaching and mentoring.
- Adherence to production cost / budget
- 4-year Degree OR individual actively pursuing 4 year degree with applicable experience encouraged to apply
- 2+ years experience in manufacturing setting
- Working knowledge of manufacturing methods and reinforcing steel fabrication
- Experience with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Minimum of 1 - 2 months supervisory experience
- Heavy Industry experience
- SAP experience
- bachelor's degree
- Medical and Prescription
- Health & Dependent Care (Flexible Spending Account)
- Basic Life/Accidental Life Insurance
- Health Advocate Services
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
Gerdau believes in equal employment opportunity related to all employees and applicants for employment. It is the policy of Gerdau that there will be no discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sex, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, veteran status, disability, or other legally protected status. All applicants must be legally eligible to immediately work in the country of hire without current or future sponsorship.
If you are vision-impaired or have some other disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Gerdau, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team at 788-2798 or