CLINICAL SERVICES ASSISTANT
The Clinical Services Assistant in Diagnostic Imaging functions primarily as a patient scheduling facilitator working closely with the schedulers, technologists, referring physicians and radiologists under the direction of the manager/coordinator of the Imaging Section and/or the Business Services Manager and physician/director. This individual is responsible for accurate scheduling of radiology procedures, the delivery of complex exam instructions, the acquisition, transcription, and distribution of clinical requests for service, receiving patients, and updating of demographic and insurance data., To perform these duties appropriately, the individual must acquire in-depth understanding of each exam/procedure performed in the section, including knowledge of the average length of each scan/procedure as well as patient preps and ancillary services that need to be arranged. This will require an individual who has exceptional interpersonal skills, exceptional organizational skills, is self-motivated with good independent judgement, as well as familiarity with pertinent computer applications. To meet the staffing needs of the department, as necessary, Diagnostic Radiology staff may be assigned at any of the YNHH Diagnostic Radiology locations, regardless of your regularly assigned work location.
- 1. Coordinates and supports all tasks related to patient scheduling.
- 1.1 Ensures all exams are scheduled appropriately.
- 2. Ensures all inpatient procedures are scheduled from the order entry queue in a timely manner.
- 2.1 Includes all required forms associated with the procedures i.e.; Patient safety forms,
- 3. Ensures all outpatient procedures are scheduled accurately with optimum customer service.
- 3.1 Ensures all procedures have been pre authorized as appropriate.
- 4. Maintains and assist with scheduling manuals within each section in collaboration with Section Coordinator or coordinator or scheduling.
- 4.1 Ensures the scheduling manual is updated regularly.
- 5. Responsible and accountable for consistently maintaining Scheduling Guidelines and Compliancy Regulations as identified by the business service manager and monitored by the manager or coordinator.
- 6. Works with manager/coordinator to ensure all quality control measures have been addressed.
- 6.1 Identifies all exams that have not been completed or cancelled from the previous day.
- 7. Follows HIPPA guidelines when working with confidential patient information.
- 7.1 Assists patient waits by keeping them notified of exam delays and responding to questions.
- 8. Assists manager and coordinator of the section with ordering and purchasing of all necessary office supplies.
- 9. To enhance the patient experience in Diagnostic radiology all staff will be responsible to achieve patient satisfaction scores set by the department on the Test & Treatment section of our Press Ganey Survey.
- 9.1 1. Staff will present themselves in a friendly and courteous manor; Staff will identify themselves and their role while encouraging a Patient and Family Center experience.
1.2 Staff will fully explain procedure and ask if the patient has any additional questions about the procedure.
1.3 Staff will address any comfort issues a patient may have prior to starting procedure.
1.4 Staff will thank patient once procedure is completed and ask the patient if they have any additional questions.
1.5 Staff must meet the above goals and fiscal year threshold value, which was last fiscal year actual for a 2 rating on review.
2. Staff must meet the above goals and exceed fiscal year threshold value by +.2 for a 3 rating on review.
3. Staff must meet the above goals and exceed fiscal year threshold value by +.4 for a 4 rating on review.
Graduation from high school, including or supplemented by secretarial course work, or equivalent training and experience. Medical terminology/computer course required or equivalent related experience. College degree in Business desired or appropriate business experience.
Three (3) years relevant and direct administrative clerical/scheduling experience required in an outpatient environment and /or successful completion of the Business Services competency assessment. Prior computer usage required with experience in an imaging department preferred. Experience in coding as well as an understanding of Third Party payor requirements, LMRPs and ABN exposure desired.
Excellent telephone communications, interpersonal, coordination and organizational skills. Ability to read computer screens, forms, and other documents and follow written and oral instructions. Moderate keyboarding skills. Ability to work in a fast-paced, changing environment. Ability to respond to unpredictable, changing situations and needs (including clinical crises in the section and otherwise stressful situations and interactions) with professionalism, good judgment and ALWAYS excellent customer relation skills. Prior customer service coordination, or clinical experience necessary. Excellent communication and people skills. Ability to remain calm and professional in high stress situations.
Ability to lift 25 pounds.
Yale New Haven Hospital is a destination hospital for patients from around the corner, around the country, and around the world. As a Magnet-recognized*, tertiary medical center, with 1,500+ beds, we are the 4th largest hospital in the country, with two acute care campuses and three emergency departments, including a Level I trauma center. We're ranked as one of "America's Best Hospitals" by U.S. News & World Report, which is a testament to the unrivaled expertise, compassion and character of our staff, and as the primary teaching facility for Yale Schools of Medicine and Nursing, we are nationally recognized for our commitment to teaching and clinical research.
Located on the Connecticut shoreline, Yale New Haven Hospital includes Smilow Cancer Hospital at Yale New Haven, Yale New Haven Children's Hospital and Yale New Haven Psychiatric Hospital.
*Yale New Haven Hospital's York Street campus and associated ambulatory sites are Magnet-designated by the ANCC.