Product Design Engineer
Are you looking to utilize your product design skills to develop innovative power distribution and lighting solutions? Lex Products’ has an opportunity for a Product Design Engineer to conceptualize and bring to life new solutions while further enhancing existing products in a manner that allows Lex to meet both today’s and tomorrow’s customer requirements.
This position is based out of our Shelton Connecticut corporate office. To learn more about Lex Products visit our web site at www.lexproducts.com.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily including the following:
- Provide project management for 2-3 new product development projects at a time
- Develop 3D model concepts in Inventor and drawing layouts to communicate product concepts.
- Create detailed and finalized concept designs of mechanical hardware and enclosures for electrical systems in new and configurable power distribution and control systems.
- Provide customers the design information needed for them to understand all product details.
- Prepare and present production layout drawings to Operations so that they clearly understand the material, mechanical components and build instructions involved in manufacturing a product.
- Prepare and evaluate component thermal load, force/strain analysis of mechanical aspects of design, specification of materials detailing criteria of merit.
- Prepare and conduct engineering tests on new products, working scale models and full-scale prototypes.
- Write and present project status reports to upper management and other Lex employees.
- Complete assignments within project timelines.
- Facilitate employee training for sales and customer service staff on specific design changes and applications.
- Promote customer satisfaction through open communication and relationship building.
- Supervise junior engineer work and professional development.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Design Drawings - 95%+ On-time per lead time established by the Director of Engineering
- 48 hour or less response time to any inquiry from both external and internal customers
- Effective use of New Product Development project system
- Supervise junior engineer(s)
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Requirements:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- 3+ years’ relevant experience in product development of electro-mechanical products with sheet metal and enclosure design.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or a related field is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of practical engineering science and technology applications.
- Excellent knowledge of sheet metal manufacturing methods.
- Proficiency in 3D CAD software. AutoCAD Inventor preferred.
- Knowledge of electrical power distribution and control technology highly preferred.
- Skilled in using logic, reasoning and sound analysis to evaluate alternative solutions, conclusions and/or approaches to problems and implement best course of action techniques.
- Excellent math skills including geometry, calculus, statistical analysis and their applications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (emails, RFPs, reports) and the ability to effectively interact with all levels throughout the organization.
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to plan and practice safe testing procedures.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite with use of Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- Exceptional communication (verbal/written) skills.
- Ability to consistently maintain a good attendance record in order to timely move projects toward completion and to fully participate in planning and other company meetings.
- Prior supervisory experience preferred.
- Prior work experience within a manufacturing company preferred.
- Familiarity with Bills of Materials (BOMs) and manufacturing routing is preferred.
Along with an attractive compensation structure Lex offers a complete benefits package including health insurance, 401(k) match and bonus programs.
Lex Products is an Drug Free / Equal Opportunity Employer
Reasonable accommodations may be made to assist individuals with disabilities
who can perform the position’s essential job functions
To apply forward resumes to: https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=15437231