Fiber Engineer II - Systems
The Fiber Engineer II has a heavy emphasis on Pre-Sales and RFP support along with conducting management level presentations to internal and external customers. Additionally, this position will oversee the design and deployment of Crown Castle outside plant fiber within a geographical region of the Domestic United States, which may include Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. This position will represent Crown Castle in a professional manner in front of customers (internal and external), utilities, municipalities, and contractors; and, be able to work cross functionally within a matrix organizational structure to achieve implementation goals in conjunction with RF Engineering, Operations, Regulatory, Finance Product Development and Supply Chain Management
Essential Job Functions
- Pre and post sales tasks to include, but not be limited to:
- Develop high level fiber designs from both desktop and field review.
- Develop cost estimate models within excel analytically from preliminary design data.
- Develop right-of-way analysis of the proposed fiber plant, such as the identification of utility and permit applications needed for a project.
- Work with utilities in underground and aerial right-of-way applications, including the management of the utility make-ready process during the construction phase of a project.
- Manage the municipality and state fiber permit processes on a project.
- Manage the contractor qualification process and bidding of engineering and construction contracts.
- Manage various suppliers and vendors during the engineering and construction management, including managing the vendors to both budget and schedule.
- Coordinate with multiple internal customers, including project managers, in support of bringing each project to completion on both budget and schedule.
- Manage the material ordering, receiving, and deployment of required inventory to support projects.
- Manage multiple projects and ability to travel to project locations across the United States in the management of the project elements.
- The ability to optimize and value a fiber engineering design.
- Develop, read, and manage fiber splice documents, including fiber splice diagrams, spider maps, OTDR, and Power Meter readings.
- BS/BA with preference to Civil, Construction, or Electrical, Engineering Degrees
- Three (3) to Five (5) years' fiber engineering and construction management experience or equivalent.
- Three (3) to five (5) years' field construction management experience with preference to both outside plant and inside plant fiber construction.
- Analytical Skills - Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
- Goal Oriented - Ability to focus on a goal and obtain a pre-determined result.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Organized - Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
- Communication, Written - Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
- Active Listening - Ability to actively attend to, convey, and understand the comments and questions of others.
- Problem Solving - Ability to find a solution for or to deal proactively with work-related problems.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Customer Oriented - Ability to take care of the customers' needs while following company procedures.
- Friendly - Ability to exhibit a cheerful demeanor toward others. Working Under Pressure - Ability to complete assigned tasks under stressful situations.
- Working Under Pressure - Ability to complete assigned tasks under stressful situations.
- Experience in using Google Earth Pro, MS Excel, MS Project, MS Project, and MS Power Point
Reports to: Director Fiber Engineering
Title(s) of direct reports (if applicable): N/A
Working Conditions: Works in a normal office setting with no exposure to adverse environmental conditions.